July 25 2017: Many thanks to everyone who joined today’s Emergency HIV Community Update to Stop ACA Repeal. The takeaway messages from Congressional staffers and advocacy experts:
· Things are moving fast
· Lots of amendments will be offered to try to get anything passed. This is an effort to get into a closed door session for negotiations with the House, which is more conservative than the Senate.
· Keep calling Republican Senators (target list below).
· Tell them: do not vote for any bill that will repeal the Affordable Care Act!
· PWN-USA’s Kill the Bill Resource Center with talking points, links to fact sheets, and analysis.
· Families USA’s Protect Our Care Initiative
· Indivisible Guide breaking down next steps on healthcare bill day by day/hour by hour
· C-SPAN live coverage of Senate debates on the floor
What to do:
1. Call your own Republican Senators and also targets listed below.
- Call 1-866-246-9371 to be connected to your own Senator. For other Senate targets, see direct numbers below.
- What to say: “Hello, my name is _____ and I’m a person [living with/concerned about] HIV. I’m calling because Senator ___ should absolutely oppose any effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Any ACA Repeal bill will take health insurance away from millions of Americans, including many living with HIV, and will dismantle Medicaid as we know it. Premiums will skyrocket. The Repeal Bills cannot be fixed.
- You can also send an e-mail to Senators by clicking here via this alert:
- The list of targeted Senators and their direct phone numbers is below.
2. Get and amplify media about the devastating impact of repeal on our communities
- If you see press opposing the repeal, repost it and tag your Senators and target Senators’ names on social media. Twitter handles for target Senators are at the bottom of this page.
- Share stories with your Senators about the importance of health care to people living with HIV.
- Go to Republican Senators offices and host a speak out, die-in, or anything else that will get media.
3. Be in touch with Senators on social media – see all twitter handles below.
4. Find nearby gatherings, rallies and actions in 36 states in opposition to ACA Repeal
- If you’re in Washington DC check out these events
Shelley Moore Capito (WV). DC Office: (202) 224-6472. State Office: (304) 347-5372. @SenCapito
Lisa Murkowski (AK). DC Office: (202) 224-6665. State Office: (907) 586-7277. @lisamurkowski
Susan Collins (ME). DC Office: 202 224 2523. State office: (207) 945-0417. @SenatorCollins
Dean Heller (NV). DC Office: (202) 224-6244. State Office: (702) 388-6605. @SenDeanHeller
Rob Portman (OH). DC Office: (202) 224-3353. State Office: (614) 469-6774. @senrobportman
John McCain (AZ). DC Office: (202) 224-2235. State Office: (602) 952-2410. @SenJohnMcCain
Cory Gardner (CO). DC Office: (202) 224-5941. State Office: (303) 391-5777. @SenCoryGardner
Jerry Moran (KS). DC Office: (202) 224-6521.State Office: (316) 631-1410. @JerryMoran
Jeff Flake (AZ). DC Office: (202) 224-4521. State office: (602) 840-1891. @JeffFlake
Thomas Cotton (AR). DC Office (202) 224-2353. State office: (501) 223-9081. @SenTomCotton
Bill Cassidy (LA). DC Office (202) 224-5824. State office (225) 929-7711. @BillCassidy
Lamar Alexander (TN). DC Office (202) 224-4944. State office: (901) 544-4224. @SenAlexander
Ronald Johnson (WI). DC Office (202) 224-5323. State office: (414) 276-7282. @SenRonJohnson
Luther Strange (AL). DC Office (202) 224-4124. State office: (334) 230-0698. @SenatorStrange
Mike Lee (UT). DC Office: (202) 224-5444. State Office: (801) 524-5933. @SenMikeLee