Week of June 19
URGENT: Take Action! Help #KillTheBill! Call the HIV Hotline Today!
ISSUE: We are running out of time! Senate Republicans plan to rush a vote on the catastrophically cruel American Health Care Act (AHCA, a.k.a. “Trumpcare”) before the July 4 congressional recess. The bill is being drafted by a secretive committee of 13 white men; no Democrats in the Senate have even seen any of the language in the bill. The Senate GOP hopes that the public will remain so distracted with the Russia investigation and the other myriad daily crises of the White House to pay attention to their plan to strip tens of millions of people of their health care coverage. The good news is there are several Republicans in the Senate representing states that expanded Medicaid who are hesitant to support a bill that would decimate coverage for hundreds of thousands in their states. Now is the time to push hard and let them know that we expect them to protect our care, and will hold them accountable if they don’t. We need to call them every single day.
GET THE FACTS:
- Find out how Medicaid cuts would affect your state with these 50 state (and DC) fact sheets from Georgetown University Center for Children and Families and National Health Law Program. The fact sheets are in Word format so that you can brand them with your organization’s logo if you wish and use them in in-person visits with legislators and their staff.
- Want to do more to stop the GOP from taking away our health care? Here’s a quick guide from The Nation with some great actions you can take.
- Learn from members of the President’s Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS how the health care bill could kill thousands unnecessarily.
- Call the HIV Hotline TODAY! Call 866-246-9371 to be connected to your Senators. You can tell them:
“My name is _____ and I live in [city, zip]. I’m a person [living with/concerned about] HIV and I’m calling to urge Senator ____ to reject any health care bill that contains cuts or caps to Medicaid. Over 40% of people living with HIV depend on Medicaid for their health care; cuts and caps would lead to unnecessary deaths. We are counting on Senator ____ to stand up for his constituents and for what’s right and reject any cuts or caps to Medicaid!”
- Do you work or volunteer for an organization that provides services for or advocates for people who would be affected by the changes to health care? Have some friends and family who are also worried about the impending health care disaster? Make the most of the HIV Hotline and organize a phone bank! Our partners at AIDS Foundation of Chicago have put together a great toolkit for organizing a phone bank to mobilize a greater number of people to call their Senators about the health care bill, which you can find here.
- Here is a list of high-priority targets (and their legislative assistants) you can call and write:
ARIZONA: SEN JEFF FLAKE (R)
Legislative Assistant Helen Heiden • firstname.lastname@example.org • 202 224 4521
ARKANSAS: Sen. Thomas Cotton (R)
Abigail Welborn, Legislative Assistant • email@example.com • 202-224-2353
ALABAMA: Sen. Luther Strange (R)
Legislative Assistant Nick Moore • Nick_Moore@strange.senate.gov • 202-224-4124
ALASKA: Sen. Murkowski, (R)
HELP Cmte Legislative Aide Morgan_Griffin@murkowski.senate.gov • 202 224 6665
Legislative Director Garrett_Boyle@murkowski.senate.gov • 202 224 6665
LOUISIANA: Sen. Bill Cassidy (R)
Senior Health Policy Adviser Matt Gallivan * firstname.lastname@example.org • 202-224-5824
Research Analyst Davis Mills • David_Mills@cassidy.senate.gov • 202-224-5824
MAINE: Sen. Susan Collins (R)
Legislative Assistant Elizabeth Allen • email@example.com • 202 224 2523
OHIO: Sen. Rob Portman (R)
Legislative Assistant Sarah Schmidt • firstname.lastname@example.org • 202-224-3353
TENNESSEE: Sen. Lamar Alexander (R)
David Cleary, Chief of Staff • email@example.com • 202-224-4944
HELP Committee health staff Mary-Sumpter Lapinski • MarySumpter_Lapinski@help.senate.gov • (202) 224-6770
WEST VIRGINIA: Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R)
Legislative Assistant Dana Richter • firstname.lastname@example.org • 202-224-6472
Legislative Correspondent Mike Fischer • Mike_Fischer@capito.senate.gov • (202) 228-1395
WISCONSIN: Sen. Ronald Johnson (R)
Legislative Director Sean Riley • email@example.com • 202-224-5323
- Take the PWN-USA pledge to keep fighting for health care for all to stay apprised of what you can do in your area to #ProtectOurCare.