July 25, 2017:
It is Not OVER yet! But We Can Win This! Keep Up the Pressure to Stop the Repeal!
Thanks to your unwavering efforts, we #KilledtheBill. But it is not over yet! Senate leadership is resorting to a last ditch nuclear option to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA) without a replacement, which will do even more harm. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has scheduled a vote for early next week on the ACA Repeal bill that would:
- End the Medicaid expansion and all premium tax credits and cost sharing subsidies while ending the individual mandate
- Leave 18 million Americans uninsured during the first year it takes effect
- Leave 32 million Americans uninsured by 2026
- Increase premiums by 25% within the first year and 100% by 2026
Because this issue is so incredibly urgent and is literally a question of life and death for many of us, PWN-USA is urging all of our members and allies to take some time out of your day to help us fight this bill. We also want to provide you with the tools and resources you need.
Here is what you can do:
- Urge your constituents, colleagues, friends, relatives or anyone you can reach to use the HIV Hotline: (866) 246-9371 and participate in the National Call-In Day on Wednesday, July 19. The process is very simple:
- Call (866) 246-9371
- When asked provide your zip code. The call direct you to key Senators in your state
- Tell the person who answers:
- Hello, my name is _____ and I live in [city, zip]. I’m a person [living with/concerned about] HIV and I’m calling to ask how Senator ___ plans to vote on the Motion to Proceed on the healthcare bill.
- You should be calling your Senators every day. You can also organize a phone bank of coworkers, friends, family, neighbors, etc. See our Action Alert for more details. Have family members you don’t see eye to eye on when it comes to politics, but want to mobilize them to take action on this anyway? Check out this email template that is deliberately non-partisan and non-HIV specific designed just for that!
- If you are in the D.C. area, come down and support the massive protest happening today (Wed., 7/19)! If you are not in the D.C. area, please keep an eye out for live coverage on PWN-USA’s Facebook page and share!
- Not in D.C.? Participate in one of the many other events happening today or in the coming days in protest of ACA repeal efforts. Here’s a good list.
- Schedule a meeting with your Senator’s legislative staff, particularly if you live in a state with at least one Republican Senator. Here is your guide.
- Use these talking points when talking to Senators, staffers and the community you are mobilizing and organizing. This page includes links to valuable resources you can use to customize your message and downloadable fact sheets you can leave with your Senators.
- You can also use these great factsheets when talking to your Senators, their staff or others you may be working to mobilize:
- Spread the word on social media and link to this resource center! Use these graphics for sharing on social media:
Download the above graphics in the appropriate formats want here:
- #1: No Repeal for Facebook
- #1: No Repeal for Twitter
- #1: No Repeal for Instagram
- #2: Preexisting Conditions for Facebook
- #2: Preexisting Conditions for Twitter
- #2: Preexisting Conditions for Instagram
- #3: Don’t Let Trumpcare Happen for Facebook
- #3: Don’t Let Trumpcare Happen for Twitter
- #3: Don’t Let Trumpcare Happen for Instagram
- #4: 22 Million for Facebook
- #4: 22 Million for Twitter
- #4: 22 Million for Instagram
- Submit an op-ed or letter to the editor to your local newspaper. Here is a template you can adapt. If you’d rather submit a shorter letter to the editor, this page has some great tips. Remember, adding in personal or professional insights and anecdotes will make it stronger and more impactful. Need help editing, submitting or pitching to your local paper? Please contact Jennie at email@example.com.
- Help get the word out about the call-in day at your local clinic or ASO by printing out and posting this poster (in Spanish here).