Week of April 24, 2017
Take Action: Show Solidarity on May Day!
ISSUE: Beyond the Moment is a visionary collective convened by the Movement for Black Lives (MBL) of over 50 organizations representing the Majority–groups of Black and brown people, immigrant communities, the economically unstable, women, children, the disabled, the LGBTQ community, those working to protect our right to work and those fighting for our right to clean air and water. PWN-USA is joining with this movement, and stands united in solidarity to fight back against attacks of a minority whose values are rooted in white supremacy, division and hatred have taken power. Actions are planned across the country for May Day on May 1, some officially affiliated with Beyond the Moment and others organized by other groups such as Indivisible. PWN-USA will be closed on May 1 in solidarity with International Workers’ Day and to allow staff to participate in actions, and we encourage all of our members and allies to show up to a rally, march or other event in honor of May Day!
GET THE FACTS:
- Learn more about Beyond the Moment here.
- Find May Day events affiliated with Beyond the Moment here.
- Here is a link to resources you can use for May Day events (or other activism).
- Here is another calendar with May 1 events.
Show up to an action on May 1! Take photos and videos and share on social media with the hashtags #HIVResists and #MayDay2017. Tag us (@uspwn) and we will share your posts on our social media as well!
Take Action: Support Strong HIV Funding on Social Media!
ISSUE: Congress is still considering funding for fiscal year (FY) 2017, and is in the appropriations process for FY 2018, which begins in October. The president has proposed a budget that includes $18 billion cuts to non-defense spending, which would decimate the budgets for HIV care, research and prevention, as well as many other social programs many in our communities rely on. It is crucial that our members of Congress be held accountable for their decisions on government spending, and that they vote to responsibly fund the vital programs that mean life or death to so many people living with HIV.
GET THE FACTS:
- Here is a quick update on what is happening in the budget appropriations process currently.
- Take a look at the letter the Federal AIDS Policy Partnership (FAPP) AIDS Budget and Appropriations Coalition (ABAC) sent to the heads of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees regarding HIV funding.
Support ABAC’s social media campaign to pressure Congress and the president to maintain funding for crucial HIV programs! Sample tweets, Facebook posts and graphics can be found on this page.
Take Action: Show Immigrant and Muslim Mothers Love This Mother’s Day!
ISSUE: Mother’s Day is feeling harder than usual this year for immigrant and Muslim mothers in the U.S., as an energized right wing uses attacks, slurs, travel bans and continued insistence on building a wall along our southern border seek to criminalize, demean, dishonor and divide.
GET THE FACTS:
- The president and some members of Congress are holding health care subsidies hostage in an attempt to secure funding in the budget for the construction of the border wall. Learn more here.
- As ICE ramps up immigration enforcement, even arresting parents dropping off their children at school, people without papers and their families fear reporting even serious crimes against them.
- Southern Poverty Law Center reports an increase in hate groups and hate crimes for the second consecutive year from a radical right energized by candidate (now president) Trump’s divisive rhetoric.
Show an immigrant or Muslim mother you support and honor her love and sacrifice by sending one of these beautiful Mother’s Day cards from Forward Together. All you have to do is choose the design, write a message and submit, and Forward Together will deliver your card to an immigrant of Muslim mama. But do it today! Tomorrow (April 25) is the last day to submit.